Sunday, November 20, 2016

{Tt} Turkey Week


I love getting into the Thanksgiving season to talk about giving thanks. I think we can never be too thankful. Talli started the week off perfectly when she asked, “Did you know that when kids don’t get out of bed and do what they should, that moms still love them?” Is that not profound? I loved being reminded of that! Thanks, Talli!
We talked about letter Tt and how T “Ticks To Tell The Time”. We listened to a ticking clock and heard it sound just like letter T; tuh, tuh, tuh! We found lots of Tt words, time, tick, tell, and turkey! We talked about the pilgrims sailing to America. In the process, I told them about the hardships of arriving in a land without stores, houses or restaurants to go to. I said, “They were having trouble growing food in the new land, but someone was in the forest watching them. Do you know who?” Katelyn guessed, “A squirrel?” No. “A bear?” No. Talli asked, “A fly?” I busted up!!! These kids are so fun! They were so surprised to hear it was an Indian, named Squanto. Ben asked, “It was a man?” That is the fun with preschoolers. I get to tell true stories in history to be heard for the first time. I love that part! I love that they are little sponges and they listen in amazement. At the end of the day, as a recap, I asked if anyone could remember the name of the ship that brought the pilgrims across. Tanner guessed, “Flower!” Talli shouted, “It was the Flower Boat?” Ben guessed, “Grandflower!” What else do you remember about the feast? “Marshall said, “They feasted for 3 years!” Ha! Three years…three days…so close! Too cute!

Monday, we turned a toilet tube into a turkey. It was tricky, but it turned out terrific. Especially the tail! I’m loving these Tt words! Ha!


Wednesday, we turned a big paper bag into a turkey face and made a turkey tail hat. Oh, my goodness, were they cute, as they all lined up wearing that big bag on their chest perched all in a row! 
Here are a few fun pictures of our preschoolers working away on their turkeys.




Thursday, we constructed a turkey feather game, matching number words with numbered feathers. It was a lot of work but everyone managed to get them all done, thanks to Miss Kristen and all the older helpers that rallied around others after finishing their own. It will be a great game to play at home to practice those number words.


Monday, we will learn about letter Ii and work on our Indian costumes for the feast. Please remember to send 24 small, small somethings for our feast Tuesday. We look forward to that. We will not need backpacks on that day, just a paper plate or baggie with 24 somethings.

We want to tell all of you how very grateful we are for each one of you and your precious children that we have the opportunity to hang with and rub shoulders with, up close and personal, each school day. We love them and the amazing perfected state they are in at this age. I tell people all the time that I believe that this is the age that the bible talks about where Jesus Christ admonishes us all to become like children. These are them. This is the age of perfection. They are simply the very best people I know. Everyday, I wish I were more like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment