Tuesday, September 19, 2017

American Week {Number 2} Remembering 9/11

Hello, fellow Americans! We had great fun in our red, white and blues for American Week. We were especially happy and severely surprised to see our little Evie, who has not worn anything but her favorite dress or her jammies twice, to break out of her norm and show up the final day in stars and stripes, top to bottom! Outstanding! Now that’s progress!


We also talked about number two and learned our poem. Then, I asked the children to tell me what 2 things we had on our bodies alike. Hands, legs, eyes, ears! Hendrix said, “Two nose holes!” Jaxson said, “Two feeta!” Navy E. said, “Two pinkies!” Chance said, “Two lumps!” I asked, “What lumps?” He pointed to his chest, “Right here!” Yep! Two lumps! I heard Miss Julie snickering across the room! Too funny! We giggled a lot!

 

Monday, we talked about the 9-11 tragedy and painted an American eagle on a flag plate. My goodness! They were all beautiful and so patriotic! We also talked about our flag and the children guessed how many stars it had on it. Madden said, “12!” More! Dani said, “14!” More! Navy E. said, “15!” More! Hendrix said, “16!” MORE! Lincoln said, “20 hundred!” Too many! Trig said, “15 hundred hours!” Stars! How many stars? Miles B. said, “100!” Woah! That’s twice as many! Cannon was the closest, “60!” We talked about what each color meant on the flag and sang America, The Beautiful, with sign language. Ask your child to show you how to sign the word, ‘America’ and see what you get! Or ‘shining sea’! Fun stuff!


Wednesday, we made an Uncle Sam puppet and the children did a wonderful job coloring red, white and blue clothes for him, including AB patterns. We also talked about what he would say to Americans, “I want you!” Then, we listed all the things we could do to be good Americans. It might be fun to ask your child what Uncle Sam wants them to do, just to hear what they came away with.


I was super impressed by Chance, who recognized and knew much about George Washington. I showed the children pictures of The Capital, The Liberty Bell, and The Statue of Liberty and her history. As I held up her picture, I asked if anyone knew what it was. Madden said, “An Egyptian!” Funny! She kind of… does! Ha! We actually had several that knew more about our nation than I ever expected! Way to go, Idahoes! Usually, I get to be the one to tell the first stories!

Most of our children are doing a really nice job learning the letters of their names and holding their pencils properly. Gone are the days when Hendrix would exclaim, “I can’t find my pinchers!” followed by several others, “Me either!” “Me, too!” By October, we hope to have little to correct!” They are really making great progress!


We especially love getting the random details of life from these little ones. I always say, “I won’t believe most of what they tell me at school if you won’t believe most of what you hear at home!” Ha!

Our final day, as I held up my picture of Lady Liberty, I asked if anyone remembered who had given the statue to America. Nash said, “Someone made it!” Dani said, “We got it from the Store!” Navy E., “The temple!” Lillian said, “Uncle Sam gave it to us!” Allison said, “We got it from Jesus!” Ha! But, we did have a great time creating a liberty hat with an AB pattern and just after lining them all up at the end of class, backpacks on with liberty hats in place, we handed each a special cupcake cone with a would-be flame on top. So cute! They all marched out with their torches held high! I just love dressing them all up! They are so adorable in a cluster! I love that.






We appreciate all of you and your wonderful words of encouragement and love. We adore these sweet children and consider ourselves lucky to be able to hang with them so much.

Much, much love and devotion,
Mrs. McClure
And Miss Julie, too

No comments:

Post a Comment